There are a number of ways you can cleanse your crystals and I’m going to show you how I like to cleanse mine.
The Full Moon
For me, crystal cleansing all begins on the full moon of every month. Full moon is a powerful and energetic time as it helps recharge crystals and maximise their potential. Full moon, in general, has been a very spiritual time for me because in Sikhism the lunar stages are important and we have always celebrated Puranmashi, the last day of the moon at its brightest phase.
I make my crystal cleansing ceremony a monthly ritual, and full moon is when I feel my crystals can gain the most energy from their environment. The idea is to give them a deep energy clean, just like we would give our skin a deep exfoliation to feel fully clean and silky soft.
How to Cleanse your Crystals
- On the night of the full moon, wash your crystals (one by one) using flowing water. This could be using the sea, the river, streams and tap water, which I presume is convenient for the majority of us. I see this process as washing away anything that’s not needed or anything negative that the crystal may have experienced.
- While you are individually washing your crystals, begin to think about what you want to aim to achieve this month. Also think about how the specific crystal in your hand can help you. For example, if you are washing your Tiger’s Eye and you want to feel more confident, think of yourself walking into work (or wherever you wish) with a smile on your face, great posture and not a worry in the world. Take that confident image of yourself and share it with the universe.
- I also like chanting or humming a mantra when I’m washing my crystals to help me stay in the Now – this is absolutely optional though! Mantras I like are – ‘Waheguru’ and ‘Om Mani Padme Om’
- Dry your crystals (one by one) giving them love and attention
- Lay your crystals outside exposed to the full moon. I sometimes lay them next to my bedroom window, still exposed to the moon, to radiate energy throughout the crystal, if I can’t put them directly outside. Depending on the crystal, elements can also effect different crystals. For example, a Blue Tiger’s Eye works with the water element. So sometimes, I might put the crystal in a cup of water and put it outside. Or, for earth element crystals, putting them in the soil can re-energise crystals with an incredible affect. I know, this is not always possible, but the more you can put crystals amongst their natural element, the more energised they will feel.
- In the morning, bring each crystal into your hands (one by one) and chant your name for as long as you need to. This is the person the crystal will be working with for the rest of the month, until the next full moon, when it needs to be re-charged again.
How long shall I clean my crystals with water for?
There is not specific time to clean your crystals – go with what you feel. I usually wash mine for about 30 seconds, on average, but sometimes my crystals need a lot longer and I might wash them for a few minutes. Trusting your instinct is definitely the best way to assess the cleansing process.
Cleansing crystals throughout the month
Keeping your crystals charged throughout the month is very important. Not only do I practice a full Full Moon charging ritual, I tend to boost the crystal energy levels using incense. I’m currently using this great rose incense stick and move them around each crystal, around once a week – just so they can have a good energy from within the room and can work at the best of their abilities.